Arijaan's Adventures in Amsterdam!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

Sunday, August 13, 2006

It is a Small World After All!

That tune has been running through my head at times here because of the interactions I am having with people from all over the world every day! And I thought the U.S. was a melting pot. . .Amsterdam seems to be the true melting pot of today. The guests really come from all over - from China to South Africa, from Israel to Mexico, from Australia to France, and the list could go on and on. One day I was looking at a world map and it honestly seemed so small because of the people I see daily, coming from every corner of the earth. So cool! Another example of the "small world" feeling took place as I was checking in a guest last week. As I was entering his passport information we got to talking - he was from the states and had been to California. I asked him what parts and he said Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo - I told him excitedly that I go to school in that town and then asked him what he was doing there. His response was "torturing students". I found this to be a little strange but he went on to explain that he came as a volunteer with Justice For All (jfaweb.org), a pro-life Christian organization that uses a large graphic display to bring awareness about abortion. At that moment the world felt very small because I volunteered with the organization as well and we went through the same training together. . .just never actually crossed paths - until Amsterdam of course! So cool! And my last example, for now, is the time I've had lately to spend with friends from home. Hanging out with Kelly on Friday, and now Tim and Steven (Bessie) yesterday and today has been so fun! Who knew that Amsterdam would be our meeting spot, and such an exciting one at that. Oh, and of course - the staff team is so international as well - so the examples go on! God is so amazing to create such a complex and spread out land and yet still make it feel relational and intimate at the same time! How special it has been to experience this first hand in Amsterdam.

2 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Austin Kruggel said...

Arijaan! I have to confess that I haven't been able to keep up with your trip entirely, but I ran across your link and wanted to just say hi! From a few of your entries it sounds like you're having an amazing time over there, which is so great! Things are going well for me as I work in SF and spend the evenings at home being entertained by Poppy. :) Summer has been great so far, but school is not something that I'm dreading at all right now.. I think it feels more like home there. Anyways, it's great to read up on your adventures and I'm looking forward to hearing about it in person! I pray that God richly blesses the rest of your time over there and that you draw nearer and nearer to Him as a result of your trip.
Take care, Arijaan.
~Austin

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Arijaan!

I just had the chance to get caught up on everything you've been up to. It sounds like God is really teaching you some amazing and lasting lessons over there. I'm looking forward to hearing all of the stories i'm sure you have when we get back.

Stephen.

PS I'm sure that Matt will be excited to hear about the international presence of JFA : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home