Arijaan's Adventures in Amsterdam!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Language Barrier

Wow - for starters, how blessed I am to speak English! I really have taken that for granted until my time here because most people from other countries study so hard to learn the language so that they can communicate while I was just born in a country where it's the first language spoken (typically!). So, thanks to all of you who worked hard to learn English, I really appreciate it!

Another huge blessing has been my knowledge, though limited, of the Dutch language. At the reception desk sometimes people call only speaking Dutch and instead of listening frantically to hear a familiar name, like some of the receptionists have laughed about doing in these moments, I can understand them! It has also been so fun to respond to people in Dutch when they assume I can't speak the language. I have definitely confused some store clerks doing this! Sadly my American accent usually gives me away. . .I think everyone knows I am not authentic even if I pretend to be. My Dutch speaking skills might be improving a little because there are a couple of Dutch guys in the house (Douwe and Samgar) who will only listen to me if I speak Dutch to them, that's been comical!

And now for some language barrier struggles, why don't I speak every language in the world? That would make life here so much easier for everyone! So often we have guests who are so hard to communicate with - not fun for all involved, I'm improving in my sign-language skills though! Or when I have someone on the phone who barely knows English, imagine trying to explain to them that if they don't come on time their reservation will be canceled - scarry. I've learned to use many words to explain one concept with the hopes that something will come across and make sense. For example: no beds, booked, full, sorry, no room in the inn - this all means that their are no available beds, something I have to tell people frequently during the busy summer months. Though it's not what they want to hear I hope that one of those words will register correctly in their mind!

And now a little story of a language barrier frustration that turned into a blessing. We have had this French man, Ben, staying with us for over a week. He speaks no English and I speak no French (except for the phrase "bless you" when someone sneezes, yes - random!). The reason that this has been so frustrating is that he continues to speak French towards me even though I do not understand a single word he is saying. At times he would get somewhat angry with me, and the other staff, for not understanding him - annoyed French men are not pleasant! However, as I was working the afternoon reception shift yesterday he comes to me with a copy of a "Living Water" booklet translated in French. "Living Water" booklets are free for the taking in the hostel, it is the gospel of John translated into many languages with the hope that a guest will have the opportunity to read through John in their own language. So, when Ben came with one of these I had the idea to grab a copy in English and direct him to certain page numbers - finally the language barrier was somewhat broken and we could try to pick at the words and communicate. Still a challenge but what a blessing! I will never know how the Lord will choose to use the few moments of actual "communication" we had together but I am grateful for the ways He can work, in mysterious and unexpected ways no doubt!

So, these are some of the thoughts I have been having concerning language during my time here thus far. It is safe to assume that I will write another post about this issue - it's a daily source of laughter and/or frustration out here!

1 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

8-4-06
Hi Arijaan,
I am enjoying beginning to get caught up on your postings. Loved this one, especially your Frenchencounter. Aren't you glad God is multi-lingual!
Love, Ruth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home