Arijaan's Adventures in Amsterdam!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

Friday, July 21, 2006

Taking up His cross

I am beginning to realize that perhaps I am painting too rosy/perfect of a picture of how things are for me here. I have so many exciting and wonderful things to share - which most of my posts have been based on - when in fact at the same time there are also very challenging and difficult parts to doing ministry. I have a new-found respect for those who do it as their full time "profession". Isaiah, in Isaiah 53, prophesized about how Christ "was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our inequities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, by his wounds we are healed" (these are only verses 5 and 6, read the whole chapter - I just don't want to type it all out here). What Christ endured during His ministry on earth really wasn't pretty even though it can often be easier to paint a rosy picture of His life as well. On of my goals for the summer was to memorize a little bit of scripture each week. This week's verse is very fitting - "Then he (Jesus) called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."(Mark 8:34-35) Taking up my cross is not always a beautiful thing, it certainly wasn't for Jesus - therefore I look to Him for strength and I thank Him for the blood He poured out so that I might experience the grace He so freely gives to all who believe in Him. As I learn to deny myself and take up my cross more and more I begin to learn more about Christ and how He did these two things perfectly. How comforting to know that whatever I may endure and how ever I may be challenged it will never compare to Jesus' sacrifice, He will always be more than enough for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home