Arijaan's Adventures in Amsterdam!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Community House

Finally a picture of where I have been living for almost 3 weeks already. . .time is flying!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So this is the house, looks big huh! Good thing because about 40 of us live in it. Also attached to our living space is a homeless ministry called "De Tweede Mijl", also run by the same organization that the Shelter falls under. Food and clothing is stored here and distributed several times per week, occupying the first floor of the building. The Shelter staff runs wild on the three floors above, including 2 classrooms, lots of living space, laundry machines, a library, a small patio (I miss my backyard in Oakdale or even the rock garden in SLO, I took it for granted!), and a place to store all of our bikes. The house spans the entire space between two streets so the door to the bike storage is right off of the street that runs behind the house, very handy! And now a picture of "my" window, the one on the very tip-top:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The room I share with two great Dutch girls, Anne and Christina, faces the street. One of my favorite things to do is to sit in the window - to read, feel the breeze and watch the people out on the street - often just what I need at the end of a busy shift. "Tot Heil des Volks" is the name of the organization and it means: for the salvation of the people. Pretty straight-forward, that's what it's all about! I hope you are enjoying these posts, I have a list running in my mind of others that I will do soon (I don't want to overwhelm you with too many at once!) but if you have any suggestions of what you would like to know more about, it can be anything - let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home