Arijaan's Adventures in Amsterdam!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Pedram

Pedram is the name of a guest that spent about a week in the hostel lately. He was in Amsterdam to take tests for a special pilot's license but is originally from Iran. Pedram is one of the most gentle and caring men I have met. He comes from a Muslim background but has some knowledge of Christianity as well. Every night that he was at the hostel he joined in on the Bible Discussion time and it was so cool to have him there. He is someone who is really interested in religion and is really trying to figure out where he stands. He was very open to discussing and explaining his beliefs as well as listening to mine. During the Bible Discussion time on Thursday we spent over 2 hours trying to reason through Pedram's thinking that we can reach God through Jesus and by what we do. He made it clear that he believes one must have faith and works, both equally important, in order to go to Heaven. He also says that he cannot believe that Jesus is God. As Christians we believe otherwise - that Jesus is God and that we are saved by grace, through faith, alone - not by works (Eph 2:8-9). Pedram did not budge in his beliefs, which is fine. It was a sweet chance to make clear to him what it is that Christ came to earth to do and I fully understand that it is up to God to call Pedram to Himself - it is in no means by my words or actions. After all this "discussing" I was feeling very emotional in the sense that God's grace really is so amazing, I feel so blessed to experience it daily but it makes me sad to see others have to struggle so much to try to make sense of it. The words of 1 Corinthians 1:18 mean much more to me now then ever: "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God". It is my prayer that what is foolishness to Pedram currently would in time become the power of God for him. Pedram will be back next month to complete his tests so I'm praying that more conversations will be had!

2 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

i love how you are getting to see perspectives of so many different people. it makes me think of our conversation on the way to santa barbara (and i almost missed my flight)! theres a point where you can almost argue to prove a point. but it is up to God to ultimately enter their hearts and make a believer.

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane you experiences are so inspirational for me it gives me encouragement to be a better evangalist in my daily conversations with people I would like to bring to Christ. Keep up the positivity!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home