Arijaan's Adventures in Amsterdam!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

Friday, August 25, 2006

Busy Day(s)

A run through of yesterday's events to show you that no day here is like the other - but each day is so busy and full of unexpected little twists and turns! So, I had the morning cafe shift yesterday. This was nice because I am typically at the reception desk and rarely in the cafe - it's always nice to mix it up once in a while for variety. I made many yummy pancakes on a very rainy morning - I don't think the rain could have come down any harder then it did. After we were done preparing the breakfast Bettina and I got introduced to and began training Christian, a brand new staff member from Germany. Seems like a great guy, he'll be here for a year - wow! Also, we prepared the food for a good-bye lunch that afternoon. Thanks to chocolate chips that Lauren brought me (you can't buy them here!) I had the idea of making chocolate chip cookies for everyone. I was pretty disappointed with how they turned out - some were a little burnt and they were very flat. . .alas, they were devoured and the Europeans liked them - now they just have to come to the states to get a real good taste of what a chocolate chip cookie should be like! The good-bye lunch went until about 3:30. After eating together, we said good-bye to and prayed for 4 staff members (2 Dutchies, an Englishman, and a Canadian) who are leaving in the next couple of days. I really have met so many amazing people here! And then, my aunt came! How fun it was to show her around the hostel - to give her a real feel for what I've been doing in this crazy city for over 2 months. We then went to the Van Gogh Museum which I really loved (a confession - this was my second time in one week! I think I've had my fill now.) - she was able to borrow a bike from Lukas, it's just so convenient to bike through the city and at this point it had stopped raining. Afterwards, we spent some time walking up and down the streets in the Jordan - looking at all the beautiful buildings, tiny shops, and fun cafes. We had dinner at one with the name of "the laughing fish". A festive and busy place! And then she hopped back on the bus - how nice of her to make the time to visit! At this point I was tired - I had been on my feet all day, so I biked home, took a shower, and soon after went to bed. Now it is the morning again - a reception shift awaits me, as well as an End of the Summer BBQ at Harold's. I wonder what else is in store? I am sure the days will continue to fly by - my last shift here in Amsterdam is September 4th and after spending time with relatives I will fly back to California on the 15th. It certainly hasn't been a restful summer but it was been one that I will never forget - I have absolutely no regrets!

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He, she DID come! How neet. Yes, (tante)Gree always is and has been a caring person. I am glad that she saw the ins and outs at your place. It's wonderful to read how you grow in scripture and apply it in so many ways toour daily life.
May the Lord continue to bless and keep you.
Mam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home