Arijaan's Adventures in Amsterdam!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" Psalm 91:1

Sunday, September 03, 2006

These are a few of my favorite things. . .

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Let me start with the beautiful clouds - I love it when the sun is shining but there are these amazing clouds in the sky, it adds so much depth and interest. This I will miss! Another favorite thing are the canals here. It sounds so typical for me to say this but it's true - I certainly won't find anything like this in California. It makes for such a cool atmosphere! As for yummy favorite foods that I've had in the city one of my favorites has been falafel - a delicious middle eastern pita bread filled with utter goodness. . .sorry, there's just no other way to describe it! Another one of my favorite things has been my ability to confuse people in regards to whether I am Dutch or American - how about both?! One of my favorite things to hear people say has been "you look so Dutch" or "you act so Dutch", however because of my American accent I have rarely heard "you sound so Dutch" - I typically get made fun of for my language skills but that has been one of my favorite things as well! However, it has also been one of my favorite things to introduce all these internationals to some American culture - and hopefully breaking some of their stereotypical assumptions while I was at it. This picture captures a powerful moment - sharing Reese Peanut Butter Cups (thanks to Kelly!) with those whose taste buds have never experienced something so amazing before:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I'm helping to start a Reese Revolution. . . maybe soon they will start producing them here! Another favorite thing - effective public transportation, other then cars I might add. After living in this city it just sounds like the craziest thing that I have a car at home - that is so unnecessary here! Well, there are so many more favorite things I could add to the list and I think that once I've left I'll be able to recognize even more of them but I'll end with one more. A favorite thing has been getting to know the ins and outs of this city - with the hopes that one day I wil be back and be able to navigate around with confidence, knowing where all the coolest places are - the cafes, restaurants, shops, churches, museums, etc. It's amazing what two months in Amsterdam will do to someone. . . in the midst of all the madness there is just so much light waiting to be discovered - I am so thankful to have discovered it here!

3 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Light waited to be discovered"
And you saw it. In and through that amazing cloud picture you showed at the beginning of your "favorite things". Yes, we do have an awsome God, who SHINES everywhere and on all who want to SEE.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture is priceless! The amazing things a simple Reese's cup can do! I am so glad I could accomidate a Reese's Revolutin for you! Can't wait to hear more and more about your trip, and see more pictures also. I can tell you have been a real blessing for that Hostel...a true light in such a 'dark place' like Amsterdam...but a real Revolution is happenning, that's what's so exciting!! Can't wait to see you and your Holland rain soaked face!:).

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane I love fallafals too!! Middle Eastern food is AMAZINGLY great!! Lets get some when you get back!
~Marlene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home